Wednesday, August 14, 2013

#1

Bonswa mwen fanmi, tis your favourite son, brother, brother-in-law. 

How are you crazy people. I would put a question mark, but only the comma and period are working on this keyboard. Anyway, hope you all are doing great. It is only day five here in Spiritville, but it feels like I have lived here my whole life. It's seriously crazy how slowly time went the first few days. It is definitely picking up a lot more now, which is good. 

Today is my p-day, so we got to go to the temple around 7 this morning. My schedule the past few days has been pretty full. We wake up at 6, get ready and go to breakfast by 6:30. Then we have language class from 7-10. Then a lot of different study things (personal, then companion, then language), then another 3 hour class session. Some days there are devotionals at night, but usually not. And we have about half an hour every day to go to the gym and run around a bit (at least that is what I do). The food here is pretty good, but it does weird things to your insides.

We started teaching investigators on Friday, which was crazy since we hardly know the language. We will be teaching him every day until he gets baptized, so every day we have to prepare a 15 minute lesson in Haitian Creole. It's really hard, but we are allowed to use our notes until this Friday. Hopefully I'll be ready to teach without them by then. It's a very weird language, and I have definitely learned a lot, but I don't know if I'm going to be ready by the time I leave the MTC.

We listened to a talk by Elder Bednar last night that really hit me. He talked about how it isn't enough to just have a testimony, you have to be fully converted to Christ as well. Statistically, 27% of all missionaries will end up going inactive within the next 6 years. That is a very scary thought. So, I've been trying my best to do all I can to be fully converted to Christ.

Anywho, I'm running out of time here, so I'm gonna sign out. I love you all though!! Keep sending letters, because it's like Christmas day every time I get one. And keep me updated on the goings-on at home. I feel so out of the loop (though I guess I'm supposed to). I will send some pictures next week as well. Love you all! Mwah!!!

Elder Skidmore