Monday, November 11, 2013

Tears, Drugs, Nudity, and Sleeping (Week 14)

Oh man, this work is great! I had to start off by saying that! I don't know what it is, but today I've just been way more happy than usual. I've gotten in the habit of praying every morning to have the best day ever. Guess it works!!

Alright, let's start off with the fun stories of the week. I found out that there's such a thing as Sleeping Missionary Syndrome. Fun stuff, really. I've had a few nights where I wake up and I'm in the middle of saying something (usually giving a lesson in Creole). Luckily everyone in my apartment sleeps really heavily, so it hasn't been a problem. I brought it up a couple of days ago, though, and apparently it's a pretty common thing among missionaries. I guess teaching is just engraved into our brains at this point. It's super weird waking up and hearing yourself say "Eskè ou ap li nan Liv Mòmon An chak jou? M' konnen ke l'ap beni ou anpil nan lavi ou!" True story. I'm a weird-o! I've had it happen a few times where I'm asking people what snow cone they want though...I prefer doing missionary lessons though. 

Also, this week I went on another exchange, and we were back in the ghettos. Oh the ghettos, what fun you are. We taught a lesson to these girls named Checola (She-cola), D'Jerry, and Taquesta. Fun times. Then we taught some 18 year old guy who just complained the whole time about how he didn't want to give up doing drugs. Then he started injecting himself in the middle of the lesson...so...what the heck is going on? 

Final fun story:) There's this super old Haitian person in our ward called Evony. Her record says her age is unknown (probably because they can't count that high), and she's completely crazy. We went over to go see her on Tuesday, and she answer the door completely naked. Yup, just a 90-something year old, fairly large, crazy Haitian lady with no teeth. That's not weird...right? My companion wasn't even phased. I'm hoping that this isn't a regularly occurring event though. I'd rather just get my eyes removed.

Alright, so this week we've been working a lot with Marie-Andre Joseph. She's 29 and doesn't speak a word of English. We've taught her almost all the lessons now though, and she's super committed to baptism. Every time we go over, she asks when she can be baptized. The rule is that they have to come to church at least twice before they can be baptized, though. She came yesterday for the first time! (she would have come last week, but her ride fell through. She was waiting for it for two hours though, poor girl). So, she's super excited for this Sunday after church, because she's totally going to be baptized!!! We've also been teaching Louis Laguerre a lot more recently. If you don't remember him, he's the guy that was all prepared for baptism, but then decided that he had to see an angel first before he'd be baptized...anyway, we've taught him a lot about faith and temples and celestial marriage and all that fun stuff (because his girlfriend's a member), and he's a lot more excited, though he hasn't fully committed yet. He's definitely a potential for this week, though.

One miracle we saw this week was in harvesting. On one of the doors we knocked, a lady answered through the window and yelled at us to go away. We told her we were representatives of Jesus Christ there to leave a blessing. There was silence for a little while, so we were about to start walking away, but the door open. The lady accepted the harvest blessing, and afterwards, she was in tears. She said that her husband has always been against her Christian beliefs, and it was getting harder and harder for her. That morning, she had been praying for a way to help her and her husband come closer to Jesus Christ, so when we said that we were representatives, she knew that it was an answer to her prayers!

This work is so real it's crazy! I know that this is the true church with all my heart. I love you all! Have the most amazing week of your lives! Stay safe, remember who you are and what you stand for:) Love you all so much!!!

Eldè Skidmore

p.s. Si ou kapab, jist voye'm kè foto yo paske mwen renmen yo anpil, men mwen pa gen anpil kounyeya. M' renmen nou plis pase tout bagay sou tè a!