Tuesday, March 4, 2014

Transfers (Week 30)

Quote of the Week:

"Man, I love you like a fat kid love cake." -Larry Andrews


Hello there fanmi mwen!
Sak Pase? Nou ap boule? Thought so. Well this week's been a lot more relaxed than last week. No angry black women getting into fights with tasers and bowling pins, so that's good I guess:) Khadijah and Rickia got confirmed on Sunday, which was amazing. The spirit was so strong. And we took Khadijah out teaching with us and she just threw down with her testimony of the restoration. She told us after that she can't wait to serve her mission in 4 years! She's definitely going to be one of the strongest members ever. Her younger sister Rickia is only 11, but we can start taking her out in April, which is excited.

So transfers are tomorrow. Oh man, stress for days! Elder Brockbank is transferring and I'm taking over the area. Too bad I've only been here a few weeks and don't know where anything is. This week is going to be super hard and stressful, but that's okay. I just want to baptize Haitian people. 

We've been teaching this really cool old Haitian mami named Rose Fatale. She's at least 70. We've taught her for the past 6 weeks, but she was never able to come to church. Well she finally made it this Sunday and is now super excited to be baptized this Sunday!! Larry Andrews, another guy we've been teaching forever but have to wait until my birthday until he can be baptized because he's on house arrest, brought his sister to church with him this Sunday and she wants to be baptized too. We still have to teach her everything though, so I don't think it will be this Sunday. I'm super excited though. The Lord's work continues to move on speedily. Our mission's working towards having 175 convert baptisms this month. That's a crazy big goal since we average about 120 a month, but I think we can do it! I'm excited to see what miracles march brings in the work.

So I read this on lds.org the other day and it's one of my favorite things ever. Thought I'd share it with y'all since I'm supposed to be an example or something strange like that;)


I went on exchanges in the English area and we knocked into this guy named Frank. He answered the door and said, "Oh, Joseph Smith was just here with his magical glasses. You know the Urim and Thummim." Oh gosh, that's always how the bashers here in Florida start. I was on exchanges with a new missionary too who had only been out for 5 weeks and was struggling a lot with confidence, so he doesn't really teach a lot yet. I was really worried for a second because I didn't want him to have a bad experience, but I decided to just go ahead with the approach. "Cool! Did you tell him I said hi. My name's Elder Skidmore and this is Elder Bortman. We're representatives of Jesus Christ, and he sent us to you today to leave a special blessing on your home." Well he immediately went off about how Joseph Smith was a liar and all that fun stuff, but instead of trying to bash back like a lot missionaries here do, I decided to try a different approach. "Sir, I know that Jesus Christ truly loves you, and wants you to know the truth. I can testify that he sent us to you today to leave this prayer and to invite his spirit into your home." He was taken back by this, because I guess he's used to people just arguing right back. He let us say the blessing, and right afterwards, he just said thanks and had us leave. He was crying though, and I know that the spirit really did touch him in that moment. It was a huge testimony builder to me of the power of the spirit and also the pure love that Jesus Christ and Heavenly Father have for each one of us. 

Anyway, that was my week, basically. I love you all so much! thanks for your constant emails and prayers. They really do help a lot! Love youuu!!!

Eldè Skidmore

Haitian lesson of the day:

Hello                  Bonjou
What's up?         Sak Pase?
I'm good             M'ap Boule  (literally means I'm burning)
See you later      N'a wè (pronounced nah way)
Have a good day    Pase yon bon joune (passay yon bon jounay)
 
 ^^Be jealous^^

No comments:

Post a Comment