Tuesday, February 18, 2014

And he be like, yo! (Week 28)

Quotes of the week (They're all from the same recent convert)

"And Moses was like, 'yo!' Well...not yo, but, 'get on da boat!"
"California's like...like a spiritual portal."
"I don't know if they were real dragons, but they were dragons! And they destroyed all of the planes except mine."
"The tree was walking and was killing da peoples. And there were bones on da floor! And I think the tree was President Bush!!"

Haha, yup. People here be cray. But hello family dearest. This week was a pretty normal week, normal being a relative term. Nothing super crazy happened, and I definitely didn't get hit by a truck so that's good. 

This week we've been working a lot with the son of a member in the ward. He be huge! He's like this 40 year old, 300 pound black man who's on house arrest for something crazy. The first time we went over there, right after we introduced ourselves he just flat out told us that he wants to be baptized. Since then we've taught him every lesson, and he's been eating it up. The spirit is always so strong in his lessons because we've been focusing a lot more on bearing testimony and promising blessings with him. When we taught the Law of Chastity he voiced his worries because it's hard for him to keep. But after we bore sincere testimony that it is a commandment of God to keep us safe and protect families, he looked at us for a second, then said, "On my own, there's no way I can keep that commandment...But with God I know that anything's possible. So with God's help I will keep it." I felt the spirit stronger in that situation than ever before. It was absolutely amazing, and such a testimony builder to me to see this huge guy who's on house arrest and had a drinking problem completely change his life around to follow God. And he's preparing for baptism this Sunday!!! The whole house arrest thing may be a problem, but we'll see what happens. I'm still excited for him:)

We also followed up on a referral that Bishop Brown gave us. It's this 15 year old girl named Khadijah who apparently has come to church 3 times already and Bishop Brown has taught her almost everything. We went and prayed with her and her family, and she wants to be baptized this Sunday with her sister, who has also come to church a few times. So that's sort of awesome! Their mum and her boyfriend be cray though, and their neighbors keep whispering to each other about getting rid of us because we park on their street and awkwardly wait in the car when Elder Brockbank has problems with his diabetes, and they think that we be creepin'.

We met this guy on the street named Chris this week. When we asked him what we could pray for, he told us his whole story of how he moved here with his dad from Georgia, but his dad died and now he's homeless and jobless. And his finger was all cut up and gross from trying to do odd jobs for people. Twas super sad. I wish there were more we could do for him...And my comps been pretty sad this week because his diabetes has been giving him a hard time, and when his blood sugar's not in a good range we have to wait in the car until it's good again, which sometimes takes an hour or two. It really stresses him out. I've been working so hard on loving and comforting others recently.

 I have been studying a lot recently about showing love to others. It says in True to the Faith that you show love to others by comforting them, mourning with them, serving them, sharing the gospel with them, and being their friend. I am honestly thrilled when I have opportunities to do these things, but I've been working on actually going and seeking out opportunities to serve and show my love for others instead of just taking opportunities as they come. Our loving Heavenly Father shows us so much love and even loved us enough to send His only Begotten Son to help make the pathway back to live with Him so much easier. I want to pay Him back as best I can.

But yeah, that's pretty much my week. I love you all! Hope you have a great week. You be da bestest eva!

Love, Elder Skidmore

p.s. Temple open house here starts in like 4 weeks!!! #guesswhogetstousher
p.p.s. Found a string of English stores here with English chocolates
 
Oh, and here's a picture of the top four zones in our mission! The guy to my left is my current comp, Elder Brockbank

No comments:

Post a Comment